- CORDIS - PROJECTS 09/04/2008
ESFRI has identified High Performance Computing (HPC) as a strategic priority for Europe. Scientists and engineers must be provided with access to capability computers of leadership class in Europe to remain competitive internationally and to maintain or regain leadership. Supercomputers are an indispensable tool to solve the most challenging problems through simulations.
PACE, the Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe, has the overall objective to prepare the creation of a persistent pan-European HPC service, consisting of three to five centres, similar to the US HPC infrastructure. PACE will be the tier-0 level of the European HPC ecosystem. It will build on the experience of the partners and use concepts and services from EC-funded projects like GEANT2 and DEISA.
The hosting centres of the planned tier-0 systems will provide the expertise, competency, and the required infrastructure for comprehensive services to meet the challenging demands of excellent users from academia and industry.
PACE will prepare for the implementation of the infrastructure in 2009/2010 by defining and setting up a legal and organisational structure involving HPC centres, national funding agencies, and scientific user communities to ensure adequate funding for the continued operation and periodic renewal of leadership systems, coordinated procurements, efficient use and fair access.
In parallel PACE will prepare the deployment of Petaflop/s systems in 2009/2010. This includes the procurement of prototype systems for the evaluation of software for managing the distributed infrastructure, the selection, benchmarking, and scaling of libraries and codes from major scientific user communities, the definition of technical requirements and procurement procedures, as well as collaborations with the European IT-industry to influence the development of new technologies and components for architectures that are promising for Petaflop/s systems to be procured after 2010.
Start date: 2008-01-01
End date: 2009-12-31
Duration: 24 months
Project Reference: 211528
Project cost: 20118036 EURO
Project Funding: 9980000 EURO
Contract type: No contract type
Coordinatore: FORSCHUNGSZENTRUM JUELICH GMBH - JUELICH DEUTSCHLAND - Philippy, Elke
- THE ENGINEERING AND PHYSICAL SCIENCES RESEARCH COUNCIL - SWINDON UNITED KINGDOM
- GREEK RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY NETWORK S.A. - ATHINA HELLAS
- BAYERISCHE AKADEMIE DER WISSENSCHAFTEN - MUENCHEN DEUTSCHLAND
- INSTYTUT CHEMII BIOORGANICZNEJ PAN W POZNANIU - POZNAN POLSKA
- THE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY FACILITIES COUNCIL - SWINDON UNITED KINGDOM
- UNIVERSITAET STUTTGART - STUTTGART DEUTSCHLAND
- CENTRE NATIONAL DE LA RECHERCHE SCIENTIFIQUE - PARIS CEDEX 16 FRANCE
- COMMISSARIAT A L'ENERGIE ATOMIQUE - PARIS CEDEX 15 FRANCE
- CSC-TIETEELLINEN LASKENTA OY - ESPOO SUOMI/FINLAND
- THE UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH - EDINBURGH UNITED KINGDOM
- STICHTING NATIONALE COMPUTERFACILITEITEN - 'S-GRAVENHAGE NEDERLAND
- LINKOPINGS UNIVERSITET - LINKOPING SVERIGE
- VETENSKAPSRADET - STOCKHOLM SVERIGE
- BARCELONA SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER - CENTRO NACIONAL DE SUPERCOMPUTACION - BARCELONA ESPAÑA
- STICHTING ACADEMISCH REKENCENTRUM AMSTERDAM (SARA) - AMSTERDAM NEDERLAND
- KUNGLIGA TEKNISKA HOGSKOLAN - STOCKHOLM SVERIGE
- THE UNIVERSITY OF MANCHESTER - MANCHESTER UNITED KINGDOM
- EIDGENOESSISCHE TECHNISCHE HOCHSCHULE ZUERICH - ZUERICH SCHWEIZ/SUISSE/SVIZZERA
- UNINETT AS - TRONDHEIM NORGE
- GRAND EQUIPEMENT NATIONAL DE CALCUL INTENSIF - PARIS CEDEX 5 FRANCE
- CINECA CONSORZIO INTERUNIVERSITARIO - CASALECCHIO DI RENO (BOLOGNA) ITALIA
- UNIVERSITAET LINZ - LINZ ÖSTERREICH
- RIJKSUNIVERSITEIT GRONINGEN - GRONINGEN NEDERLAND
- FACULDADE CIENCIAS E TECNOLOGIA DA UNIVERSIDADE DE COIMBRA - COIMBRA PORTUGAL
- UNIVERSITE LOUIS PASTEUR STRASBOURG I - STRASBOURG FRANCE
|Quadro di finanziamento||
|Area di interesse||