MARURBE - Sustainable urban development: solutions to promote the biological and conservation value of marine urban structures
- CORDIS - PROJECTS 02/10/2008
Urbanization has been historically widespread and one of the leading
causes for habitat and species loss in coastal waters. Today 22,000 km2
of the European coastlines are covered by urban marine structures such
as marinas, breakwaters, and seawalls, and development is expected to
increase further. However, understanding and mitigating the effects of
urban structures on marine life have not been a top priority in marine
science and conservation.
MarUrbe aims to encourage sustainable management of coastal urban structures by acquiring and disseminating knowledge on methods to promote desired species or prevent nuisance species in order to meet specific management goals, including
- mitigating loss of species with high conservation value (e.g. Cystoseira spp.),
- monitoring/controlling the spread of invasive/nuisance species,
- enhancing fishery resources (e.g. mussels, crabs, and fish stocks) and 4) improving water quality.
These goals will be achieved by:
- exploring, through monitoring and experiments, the relationships between the characteristics of urban marine structures, species distribution and ecological functioning;
- experimentally testing the effects of fine structural modifications to urban marine structures on the distribution of target species
Project cost:171469 EURO
Project Funding:171469 EURO
Subprogramme Area: Marie Curie Action: "Intra-European Fellowships for Career Development"
Coordinatore: ALMA MATER STUDIORUM-UNIVERSITA DI BOLOGNA - Laura Airoldi - RAVENNA - ITALIA
Iscriviti alla newsletter gratuita per ricevere, 1 volta a settimana, news personalizzate negli ambiti di tuo interesse su bandi, eventi, ricerche partner e molto altro in materia di ricerca e innovazione.
In questo modo, avrai anche accesso a MY FIRST, l’area riservata dove potrai trovare salvate le tue ricerche e le news di tuo interesse
|Quadro di finanziamento||
|Area di interesse||