- CORDIS - PROJECTS 27/10/2010
This proposal is focused on the development of a new generation of wide band gap (WBG) GaN technology and devices for which strong impacts in term of performances, reliability and robustness are expected. AL-IN-WON will explore two main disrupting routes:
- Next generation of WBG device based on new epi material (InAlN/GaN) for strong improvement in term of performances and reliability.
- High efficiency / High Power generation in Ku / Ka bands It proposes to evaluate in 2 phases next generation of WBG material up to Ka Band.
The InAlN/GaN hetero-structure offers the following advantages: As InAlN/GaN is lattice matched, it offer the possibility to growth very thin layer in the range of 10nm or below WHICH IS THE MOST RELEVANT to overcome short channel effect AND GO TOWARDS HIGH frequency range up to millimetre wave range. In0.18 Al0.82N /GaN is a new hetero-structure able to give twice the drain current available from a more conventional AlGaN/GaN hetero-structure. Breakdown voltage is comparable for the two hetero-structures. In0.18 Al0.82N is latticed matched to GaN and higher reliability is therefore expected compared to AlGaN/GaN. Passivation is currently a major limitation to device operation. InAlN/GaN MOSHEMT are very promising with strong current drain improvement compared to HEMT (UltraGaN). We plan to evaluate CW Ku and Ka Band MMIC High Power Amplifiers (HPA) and Low Noise Amplifiers (LNA). Demonstrators in Ka band will be designed based on devices coming from the run 2.
The final objective being the evaluation of InAlN/GaN compared to more conventional AlGaN/GaN very high power HEMT technology with very high breakdown voltage, high current and compliant with high power density. Regarding space application for which reliability and robustness are of major concerns, we expect to demonstrate the major breakthrough offered by GaN technology, and especially InAlN if successful.
Start date: 2010-11-01
End date: 2013-10-31
Duration: 36 months
Project Reference: 242394
Project cost: 3.37 million euro
Project Funding: 1.95 million euro
Subprogramme Area: SPACE - SUSTDEV-2002-3.III.2.1 Generating models of socio-economic impacts on biodiversity and ecosystems.,2000-7.2 Setting up of virtual institutes
Contract type: Collaborative project (generic)
Coordinatore: UNITED MONOLITHIC SEMICONDUCTORS SAS - FRANCE - BAGLIERI Didier
- UNITED MONOLITHICS SEMICONDUCTORS GMBH - GERMANY
- UNIVERSITE DE LIMOGES - FRANCE
- MEC - MICROWAVE ELECTRONICS FOR COMMUNICATIONS SRL - ITALY
- ALCATEL THALES III V LAB - FRANCE
- THALES ALENIA SPACE FRANCE - FRANCE
- UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI PADOVA - ITALY
|Quadro di finanziamento||
|Area di interesse||