MINANO - New high-quality mined nanomaterials mass produced for plastic and wood-plastic nanocomposites
- CORDIS - PROJECTS 21/02/2011
Successful adaptation of nanotechnology in the end-products requires an access to the nanofiller technology and to the raw materials. The MINANO-project brings together partners representing end-user's product know-how, formulation and processing technology and most importantly secure and reliable source of nano raw materials. Although there has been tremendous development in the area of nanocompounds with improved functionality, there exists a need to develop an efficient, continuous method of large-scale, low-cost synthesis of such materials.
To answer to this need the following steps are suggested:
1) Integrate the functionalization of the high-quality nanoparticles directly on the continuous mass-production process already in the mining industry,
2) ensure controlled dispersion to the matrix material in large scale by cooperation between nanoparticle producer and end-product manufacturer,
3) assure sustainable and safe production and use by state-of-the-art life-cycle analysis.
Based on the mass production process and cooperative value chain we concentrate on three major functionalities: Flame retardancy, UV resistance and antimicrobial properties. These properties are achieved by functionalized Mg(OH)2, ZnO and Ag nanoparticles. Societal and industrial impacts of these properties are extensive and there is a strong request of these functionalities for both plastic and wood-plastic based matrix materials. The use of nano-sized functional filler materials enables to use smaller amount of additives thus giving better recyclability, lower weight, higher mechanical strength and potential multifunctional features to the end-product.
The combination of new nanofunctionalities gives far reaching possibilities for new types of functional plastics, and completely new possibilities to wood-plastic composites as well. This moves both mining industry and end-product companies towards high-tech on the long run.
Start date: 2010-10-01
End date: 2013-09-30
Duration: 36 months
Project Reference: 263946
Project cost: 3.75 million euro
Project Funding: 1.49 million euro
Subprogramme Area: NMP.2010.1.2-4 Adding Value to Mining at the Nanostructure level (Coordinated call with Mexico)
Contract type: Small or medium-scale focused research project
Coordinatore: TEKNOLOGIAN TUTKIMUSKESKUS VTT - FINLAND - HEINO Jaana
- SO.F.TER. SPA - ITALY
- UNIVERSIDAD AUTONOMA DE SAN LUIS POTOSI - MEXICO
- SOVERE SPA - ITALY
- OWENS CORNING MEXICO S DE RL DE CV - MEXICO
- CENTRO DE INVESTIGACION EN MATERIALES AVANZADOS SC - MEXICO
- OWENS CORNING FIBERGLAS AS LTDA - BRAZIL
- SERVICIOS ADMINISTRATIVOS PENOLES SA - MEXICO
- CENTRO DE INVESTIGACION EN QUIMICA APLICADA - MEXICO
- DANMARKS TEKNISKE UNIVERSITET - DENMARK
Iscriviti alla newsletter gratuita per ricevere, 1 volta a settimana, news personalizzate negli ambiti di tuo interesse su bandi, eventi, ricerche partner e molto altro in materia di ricerca e innovazione.
In questo modo, avrai anche accesso a MY FIRST, l’area riservata dove potrai trovare salvate le tue ricerche e le news di tuo interesse
|Quadro di finanziamento||
|Area di interesse||