- CORDIS - PROJECTS 14/07/2008
Heart failure accounts for almost a quarter of all admissions to hospital for cardiovascular events, has a high mortality (median survival around 18 months), and places a great burden on all healthcare systems, with estimated direct costs of £905m (1350m) in the United Kingdom in 2000, 2% of total NHS expenditure.
VPH2 aims to develop a patient-specific computational modelling and simulation of the human heart to assist the cardiologist and the cardiac surgeon in defining the severity and extent of disease in patients with post-ischemic Left Ventricular Dysfunction (LVD), with or without ischemic mitral regurgitation (IMR). Specific computational methods will allow clinical decision making and planning of the optimal treatment for left ventricle-valve repair. The goal is not only to deploy a fully validated technology to partner clinical institutions, but also to develop a sustainable business model associated to it.
The associated technological aim of the project is to deliver the most advanced software application framework for the development of computer-aided medicine in cardiology and cardiac surgery available in the world, going beyond the state of the art of available models.
This goal will be achieved by integrating some of the leading Open Source software in the area of computer-aided medicine and of computational bioengineering. This framework will be used by VPH2 to realise its objectives, but also by any other future project (academic or industrial) aiming to improve or extend VPH2 objectives.
Start date: 2008-07-01
End date: 2011-06-30
Duration: 36 months
Project Reference: 224635
Project cost: 5179050 EURO
Project Funding: 3778500 EURO
Subprogramme Area: Virtual physiological human
Contract type: Virtual physiological human
Coordinatore: GMD GESELLSCHAFT FUER MEDIZINISCHE DATENVERARBEITUNG MBH (Società del Gruppo NoemaLife di cui fa parte NoemaLife S.p.A. con Sede a Bologna) - BERLIN DEUTSCHLAND - Carenini, Michele
- EURO (PMS) LIMITED - NORMANTON UNITED KINGDOM
- WESTFAELISCHE WILHELMS-UNIVERSITAET MUENSTER - MUENSTER DEUTSCHLAND
- ECOLE POLYTECHNIQUE FEDERALE DE LAUSANNE. - LAUSANNE SCHWEIZ/SUISSE/SVIZZERA
- REGIONE LOMBARDIA. - MILANO ITALIA
- QUALITY & RELIABILITY A.E. - MAROUSSI HELLAS
- UNIVERSITY OF BEDFORDSHIRE - LUTON UNITED KINGDOM
- SORIN BIOMEDICA CARDIO S.R.L. - MILANO ITALIA
- AMINIO AB - STOCKHOLM SVERIGE
- EREYNITIKO AKADIMAIKO INSTITOUTO TECHNOLOGIAS YPOLOGISTON - RIO PATRAS HELLAS
- PATMOS S.R.L. - PARMA (PR) ITALIA
- SCS SRL - MILANO ITALIA
- INTERCON SP. Z O.O. - LODZ POLSKA
|Quadro di finanziamento||
|Area di interesse||