SMART-LIC - Smart and Compact Battery Management System Module for Integration into Lithium-Ion Cell for Fully Electric Vehicles
- CORDIS - PROJECTS 01/07/2011
Smart & Compact Battery Management System Module for Integration into Lithium-Ion Cell for Fully Electric Vehicles SMART-LIC addresses the development of a new Battery Management System concept aiming at:
- Lower system complexity by a radical reduction of wiring and connectors cause of EMF emissions and major source of malfunctions - Higher efficiency of the battery packs because of the local control
- Increased overall reliability and safety such that early determination of iregularities and failures of the actual battery cells is posible and not impaired by defects in wiring connectors and remote electronics
- Increased flexibility of the overall energy-power routing such to assure that all cells could perform at their maximum rating independently from the rating of the others.
- Radical overall cost reduction of the overall BMS because of reduced cabling and connectors as well as simplification of the electronics
- Increased precision in determining the states of charge, of health, and of function of the individual cells and of the entire battery by applying a new battery model based on electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS)
- Reduced maintenance of the battery packs assured by the monitoring of the single cell (macrocell) with the possibility to switch it off from the rest of the pack.
- Reduced cost of ownership for the end user due a significant increase in battery lifetime caused by the improved management on cell level.
The ambitious objectives are obtained by realizing the BMS module as a system-in-package (SiP) directly integrated into the lithium-ion cell for fully electric vehicles by using advanced packaging technologies. Early demonstration of the technology will be made by preparing specific battery packs to be installed both on a commercially electrified vehicle and on a FEV of new concepts.
Start date: 2011-05-01
End date: 2014-04-30
Duration: 36 months
Project Reference: 284879
Project cost: 5.75 million euro
Project Funding: 3.47 million euro
Subprogramme Area: ICT-2011.6.8 ICT for fully electric vehicles
Contract type: Collaborative project (generic)
Coordinatore: - STMICROELECTRONICS S.A. - Jochen LANGHEIM
- STMICROELECTRONICS APPLICATION GMBH - GERMANY
- KEMET ELECTRONICS ITALIA SRL - ITALY
- MICRO-VETT SPA - ITALY
- CONTI TEMIC MICROELECTRONIC GMBH - GERMANY
- STMICROELECTRONICS SRL - ITALY
- TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAET CHEMNITZ - GERMANY
- CENTRO RICERCHE FIAT SCPA - ITALY
- FRAUNHOFER-GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FOERDERUNG DER ANGEWANDTEN FORSCHUNG E.V - GERMANY
- BERLINER NANOTEST UND DESIGN GMBH - GERMANY
|Quadro di finanziamento||
|Area di interesse||